Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Model Question on SPEECH / TALK

•You have attended a seminar on studying tips. You are required to share what you have learnt with your friends during the English Language Society Motivation Course. Write a talk on studying tips which you would like to present to your friends.

•Use the notes below to help you write your talk :
* proper management of time
* make notes
* study in groups
* have a schedule or a timetable
* get guidance from the counsellor or any subject teacher concerned

When writing your talk :
* use all the notes given
* elaborate on the given notes to make it more interesting
* make sure it is not less than 120 words


Good morning to the principal, teachers and all my fellow friends. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the English Language Society for giving me this opportunity to present my talk. Today, I would like to share with you the knowledge I gained while attending a seminar. My talk is on ‘Studying Tips’.

We find studying a chore. Some of us become so stressed up after studying. Let me give some tips on studying well. First and foremost, ask yourself if you have been managing your time properly. Do you have time for study, time for a little entertainment and time to build up your social life? If your answer is “No”, then, it is time you must manage your time in an organised manner. Plan your time so that you have time for relaxation, too. As the saying goes, “All works and no play make Jack a dull boy”.

Whenever you study, do you make notes? It is good to read through your books and make brief notes so that you are able to digest the subject at hand. Look out for important main details and supporting points.

Another important point is studying in a group. Try to have a study group of four or five people. Discuss topics which you are unsure of. Do not sidetrack, but be serious with what you want to talk about.

In addition to that, it is good to have a timetable or a schedule to guide you on the things you want to do. Following a timetable will make you be more disciplined. You also learn to manage your time well. Try planning a timetable.

Finally, it is a good idea to get help from your counsellors and subject teachers if you are lost. Seek for advise. Ask for further explanation if you are unsure of a subject matter. I am sure your teachers will be willing to give a helping hand.

Before I end my talk, I hope you will follow these pointers that I have mentioned earlier.

Thank you for listening.

1 comment: